[Firehol-support] MAC filtering

John Dalton John.Dalton at varrqnuht.net
Mon Mar 26 03:15:02 BST 2007

Hi Ryan,

This will almost certainly not work on your campus wireless network,
as you very likely won't be in the same ethernet segment (or VLAN) as
your office PC.

Why not use SSH with key-based authentication instead, and disable
password auth?  This way nobody can get in via SSH unless they have
your key, and if you only keep the key on your laptop then you
achieve the same effect as locking it down by MAC address would.

Google for "ssh key authentication", but this link looks good:
   http://sial.org/howto/openssh/publickey-auth/

If you still want to use FireHOL to prevent even attempted
connections from other hosts, you could restrict ssh access to your
home and campus networks (for example), knowing that you have the
added restriction of key authentication on top of that.

Restarting FireHOL to allow your IP to connect may present a problem
when you are attempting to connect from the IP you want to allow. ;)

I hope this helps!

Yours,

John