[Firehol-devs] New firehol development

Phil Whineray phil at sanewall.org
Sun Sep 29 10:07:25 CEST 2013

Hi Costa and welcome back

The two projects are really the same fork - I started sanewall in
March 2012 after I was unable to contact you about adding the IPv6
patches I originally produced back in 2010.

For me that is still the main driver for sanewall and if we can get
IPv6 support into FireHOL then I don't have a strong desire to
maintain a separate project.

At the point I made the fork I started over and produced a sanewall
package then rebased all of the IPv6 work on top of that. The effect is
that this git repo should apply easily to FireHOL:
  git://github.com/mikemol/fireholv6.git

This one will not, but contains a variety of extra fixes:
  git://git.sanewall.org/sanewall.git

If you are able to take a look at the former and decide if the main
idea is OK for you, then I will do the work to rebase better patches
from the sanewall onto your repo, so you get up to date patches with
fixes to apply.

Kind Regards
Phil

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 08:46:44PM +0300, Tsaousis, Costa wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I didn't know about these forks. I am, at least, pleased.
> I'll be glad to join forces to one project.
>
> About FireQOS: I wrote a small wiki about it and its usage:
> https://github.com/ktsaou/firehol/wiki/FireQOS
>
> Anyone tried it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Costa
>

> 2013/9/26 Tsaousis, Costa <costa at tsaousis.gr>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know there has been some time since my last activity on this list.
> >
> > Anyway, I have two major developments to announce:
> >
> > 1. A new firehol that activates the firewall instantly. This is a lot
> > faster and if it proves stable, I can make it even faster. Please test
> > it and report problems to github (open a new issue).
> >
> > 2. FireQOS a traffic shapper that utilizes IFB devices to shape both
> > incoming and outgoing traffic on any interface. I have added to it the
> > ability to calculate DSL overheads. This is "perfect shapping" in both
> > incoming and outgoing traffic.
> >
> > I have moved development to github:
> >
> > https://github.com/ktsaou/firehol/tree/development
> >
> > To use fast activation, just add FIREHOL_FAST_ACTIVATION=1 at the top
> > of your firehol.conf
> >
> > To use fireqos (no documentation yet), see the example:
> > https://github.com/ktsaou/firehol/blob/development/examples/fireqos.conf
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Costa

http://www.sanewall.org/