[Firehol-support] Re: Understanding firehole.conf

Costa Tsaousis costa at tsaousis.gr
Tue Aug 26 11:14:50 CEST 2003

Thank you John.

I totally agree with you, however I have just one question:

Are you suggesting that the term DMZ should be used *only* with such 3-way
setups?

When there are different levels/kinds of trust and you install firewalls
in-bitween some server farms (or zones), in any topology, can you say
"this is a DMZ setup" or not?

Actually, in my examples, the DMZs are not necessary the firewall and for
sure is not just one server. It might be and it might not be.

For example, is this a DMZ setup?

 Internet --- Firewall A --- Server Zone 1

                              Firewall B

                             Server Zone 2

                              Firewall C

 Internet --- Firewall D ------ Admins

It uses firewalls to isolate and control trust, but would you name this a
DMZ?

In general, in my data center topologies, I try to have completely
different LANs for serving requests and others for administering the
servers (the public LAN is there for serving the public, while the
internal LAN is there to handle inter-systems communication and give me
admin control). I believe this gives the maximum of security, since, for
example, SSH, SNMP, and other administration stuf is not even listening at
the public view of the network.

I consider this:

  Internet --- Firewall --- Servers

                Admins