[Firehol-support] Transparent Proxy help

Costa Tsaousis costa at tsaousis.gr
Wed Dec 3 21:16:26 GMT 2003

I guess that when you say that the trasparent proxy is not working, you
mean that it allows web browsing from the unroutable IPs.

If this is the problem, then change the transparent_squid statement to this:

transparent_squid 8080 "squid root" inface eth0 src "${accepted_ips}"

This is because, a proxy is not ROUTING the packets, it re-plays them at
the other side of your firewall.

If your transparent squid does not work at all, please check the squid
logs and verify that it gets the requests from the clients. If it gets the
requests, then check your squid configuration.

If it does get the requests but it complains that it cannot connect to
remote hosts, first check this:

transparent_squid 8080 "" inface eth0 src "${accepted_ips}"

this will disable proxied browsing from the firewall itself (with a
browser on the linux host). If that works, check the user under which
squid is running and make sure it is included in the first command line
above.

Costa

PS: Your eth0 interface does not state any clients. This means that you
will not even be able to ping the other hosts from the linux firewall. Is
that what you want?