[Firehol-support] Unable to let internal network access the internet via cable modem

John Zastrow br8kwall at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 04:58:21 CET 2003

Howdy,

I've got the classic situation: eth0 on the linux box
connected to a cable modem with dynamic IPs. eth1
points to the internal network, which is currently one
machine. That machine gets its IP from dhcpd and sees
eth1 (192.168.1.1) as its gateway. Linux box is
running Redhat8.

I would like to route to the internal machine full
access to the linux box and internet, so I tried the
firehol stock home_adsl config as a start (though I
had to change the path for sysctl to /sbin/sysctl to
stop firehol from complaining).

Now the linux box sees the internet just fine through
eth0. The internal box is getting its IP and I can ssh
into the linux through eth1 just fine. But, the
internal machine cannot see the internet. I also tried
working through the tutorial config, but that didn't
either.

Nothing seems to be complaining, so it's obviously a
config problem. Where do I start troubleshooting this?
 The troubleshooting section is a little lite in this
regard.

TIA,
-John