[Firehol-support] samba problems

Costa Tsaousis costa at tsaousis.gr
Tue Nov 4 22:49:00 CET 2003

Hi Goetz,

well it seems you are the first having a server samba accept without a
client all accept...

The problem here is this:

If I match the state NEW,ESTABLISHED on the netbios-ns reply, then your
server statement would work as expected, but when the service samba is
used on clients, it would open all unpriviliged ports to anyone using port
netbion-ns as source port.

Of course, this is extremely bad and should be avoided.

In FireHOL v1.168 (in the CVS) I have implemented a hack so that I match a
NEW,ESTABLISHED state for interface/server statements and just ESTABLISHED
for interface/clients and routers. This will allow your server to respond,
but then if a linux is used as a samba client we still have the problem
(the reply will be dropped).

So, case is still open...