[Firehol-support] Aliased external interface

Costa Tsaousis costa at tsaousis.gr
Fri Dec 3 21:12:13 CET 2004

Hi Daniel,

To have the FireHOL rules in separate files, and process them as if there
was one big file, just use the BASH "source" function. For example:

---
version 5

dnat ...
snat ...

source /etc/firehol/firehol-external.conf
source /etc/firehol/firehol-internal.conf
source /etc/firehol/firehol-dmz.comf

---

In general, you can do whatever BASH allows, including loops, execute
other programs, make decisions with BASH conditional statements (if...
then... else... fi), etc. You can even connect to a database to get the
rules!

One important thing to know however, is that FireHOL needs to process all
the helpers first and then the interface/router blocks. This means you
cannot have helpers and firewall rules in all files, except the first. All
the others will have to have only interface/router blocks. (Now that I
realize it, this is a stupid rule - added to my to-do list to remove this
restriction).

On the other hand, FireHOL is not able (yet) to build a firewall in
multiple runs. For example, you *cannot* do:

root at host # firehol /etc/firehol/firehol-external.conf
root at host # firehol /etc/firehol/firehol-internal.conf
root at host # firehol /etc/firehol/firehol-dmz.comf

to build the firewall in multiple runs of FireHOL. (This would be fun
however - added to my to-do list also).

--
Costa Tsaousis