[Firehol-support] problem matching packet length

High Mobley firehol at prioritynetworks.net
Wed Oct 27 23:25:54 CEST 2004

Ummm.... Answered my own question as usual. Turns out that the iptables
rules I ws trying to use (read below for full details) worked fine. What
happened is that I was generating the test pings from a Linux box (no
Windoze available for testing), and using the -s switch to the ping
command to specify a size for the packet. Well, I knew that the -s
switch specifies the raw data size, not the overall packet size.
However, I was looking at the wrong numbers in hte output from the ping
command to check that I was sending 92-byte packets. So the command that
I used (ping -s84 A.B.C.D) was actually sending 112-byte packets. The
correct data size to generate packets of 92-byte size was 64. So my new
command is 'ping -s64 A.B.C.D'

And here are the rules that I added to my FireHOL config file to make
this work:

interface eth1 INTERIOR src ${interior_ips}
         policy reject
         server icmp drop custom "--icmp-type echo-request --match
length --length 92"
         server icmp drop custom "--icmp-type echo-reply --match length
--length 92"
         server icmp accept
         client all accept

router INTERIOR_NAT inface eth1 outface eth0
         route icmp drop custom "--icmp-type echo-request --match length
--length 92"
         route icmp drop custom "--icmp-type echo-reply --match length
--length 92"
         route all accept
         masquerade

<sigh> At least I got it figured out...