[Firehol-support] DNS-based blacklisting

Costa Tsaousis costa at tsaousis.gr
Sat Sep 11 11:55:20 CEST 2004

Daniel,

there is the blacklist helper that does this job.

Use it like this:

blacklist these a.ip another.ip ...

This will stop only NEW connections from these IPs. Established
connections will not be blocked. To stop all traffic use:

blacklist full a.ip another.ip ...

You can get the list of IPs from an external file like this:

blacklist these `cat /path/to/file/with/one/ip/per/line`

You can also add or remove IPs from a running firewall without restarting
FireHOL. To do this, add to your config these two lines:

blacklist these 255.255.255.255
blacklist full 255.255.255.255

Replace 255.255.255.255 with an IP you don't care to blacklist. We need an
IP here just for FireHOL to create its iptables structures for
blacklisting.

Then use the following scripts to manipulate the list of IPs during runtime.

a) To block/unblock only NEW connections use:

--- block-new.sh ---
#!/bin/sh
# USAGE: block-new.sh IP
/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s $1 -j BL_IN_UNI
/sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -s $1 -j BL_IN_UNI

--- unblock-new.sh ---
#!/bin/sh
# USAGE: unblock-new.sh IP
/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -s $1 -j BL_IN_UNI
/sbin/iptables -D FORWARD -s $1 -j BL_IN_UNI

b) To block/unblock all traffic from/to IPs use:

--- block-all.sh ---
#!/bin/sh
# USAGE: block-all.sh IP
/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s $1 -j BL_IN_BI
/sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -s $1 -j BL_IN_BI
/sbin/iptables -I OUTPUT -d $1 -j BL_OUT_BI
/sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -d $1 -j BL_OUT_BI

--- unblock-new.sh ---
#!/bin/sh
# USAGE: unblock-all.sh IP
/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -s $1 -j BL_IN_BI
/sbin/iptables -D FORWARD -s $1 -j BL_IN_BI
/sbin/iptables -D OUTPUT -s $1 -j BL_OUT_BI
/sbin/iptables -D FORWARD -d $1 -j BL_OUT_BI

Costa