[Firehol-support] Masquerading happening on simple router?

Costa Tsaousis costa at tsaousis.gr
Sat Oct 15 10:47:24 BST 2005

Carlos Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have the following definitions in my firehol.conf:
>

> router world-to-dmz \
>         inface ${world_iface} outface ${dmz_iface}
>         protection strong
>
>         route all accept
>

> router dmz-to-world \
>         inface ${dmz_iface} outface ${world_iface}
>         protection strong
>
>         route all accept
>

> As can be seen, there is no masquerading configured between "world"
> and "dmz". However, machines in the DMZ (which have public addresses)
> see all connections from the internet as coming from the firewall.
> Outside machines with incoming connections from machines in the DMZ
> also show the same thing.
>
> I have both interfaces "world" and "dmz" with the same IP address,
> configured with proxy-arp, but that shouldn't be the cause of this,
> AFAIK.
>
> Has anyone got any idea what's happening here?

So you are suggesting that there is no 'snat' or 'masquerade' in your
firewall config and still traffic gets SNATed to your firewall IP?
If yes, do you have a trasparent proxy in your firewall?

Please, make a test: add

log 'some text'

to the route command in world-to-dmz above and examine the log. Is SRC=
valid?