[Firehol-support] transparent proxy with UNROUTABLE_IPS

Max Kutny mkutny at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 12:08:10 CET 2006

Gents,

one of interfaces of my computer looks into the outside world. I protect it
with
'src not "${UNROUTEABLE_IPS}"' clause.

Transparent proxy configured with "transparent_squid 3128 proxy" helper.

When I "telnet sf.net 80" from the firewall I've got the following in
firewall's syslog:
Jan 14 12:15:42 blues kernel: 'OUT-unknown:'IN= OUT=world SRC=85.202.141.172DST=
127.0.0.1 LEN=60 TOS=0x10 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=17371 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=52401
DPT=3128 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Why does it happen?

When locally generated packet originates to sf.net it gets redirected by the
following
rule in NAT table (produced by transparent proxy helper):
0 0 REDIRECT tcp  --  any any anywhere anywhere redir ports 3128

Redirection means that destination is simply changed to 127.0.0.1 so the
packet gets the following attributes: OUT=world SRC='world address' DST=
127.0.0.1 .

After NAT table processing packet is ruled to the OUTGOING chain.

OUTGOING chain has a jump to user-defined chain for world interface.
And world interface chain itself has "0 0 RETURN all -- any any anywhere
96.0.0.0/3"
rule (remember unroutable ips protection?).

Thus, every packet outgoing to world interface with DST=127.0.0.1 gets
returned
to the OUTPUT chain and gets dropped at the end of it.

If I remove unrouteable ips protection everything gets processed fine.

How could I use transparent proxy with unrouteable ips protection on?

It would help if REDIRECT changed interface to 'lo' as well as DST address.
Unfortunately this is not the case here.

-- Max