[Firehol-support] DHCP firewall issue

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 05:36:07 CEST 2006

Well, I did a bit of research about it on google and came up with
this interesting tidbit on the netfilter mailing list.

On Monday 17 November 2003 4:35 pm, Chandana Bandara wrote:

 > Hi     Mr.Antony & ALL ,
 >
 > iptables -P INPUT DROP
 > iptables -P FORWARD DROP
 > iptables -P OUTPUT DROP.........only with those policies ,
 > should block the all incomming , outgoing from the machine ?????

Assuming you have flushed the rules as well, with:

iptables -F INPUT
iptables -F FORWARD
iptables -F OUTPUT

then no IP traffic will be allowed into, out of, or through, the
machine.

 > This firewall running in my DHCP machne , but when a test with my
DHCP
 > clients ..........those machone has taken ips. but this can't happen
 > .....isit ? if i correct where can be tbe problem ?
pls ..............guide
 > me

It is important to bear in mind that DHCP is a protocol used for
giving IP
addresses to clients which don't currently have them, therefore the
traffic
involved in client requests and server responses will not have normal IP
addresses as you might expect, simply because the (client) machines in
question don't have IP addresses until the protocol is complete.

A quick inspection with a protocol analyser such as ethereal will
easily show
you what I mean here.

However, once the clients do have IP addresses, the above rules will
certainly prevent them from communicating with, or through, the
netfilter box.

If you want to block the ethernet traffic involved in communicating
the DHCP
packets in the first place you might like to investigate ebtables at
http://ebtables.sf.net instead of iptables, as this is more
appropriate to
this purpose.

Regards,

Antony.

At least I feel a little safer now knowing that it's not a serious
problem with my firewall. But it's also very interesting to know that
IP tables won't block traffic that doesn't have an IP address yet. If
I'm understanding this correctly.

I'll have to check out etables.

Thoughts???

Romeo