[Firehol-support] Improving FireHOL

Vincent Danjean vdanjean.ml at free.fr
Sun Feb 25 20:52:46 GMT 2007

Carlos Rodrigues a écrit :
> On 2/25/07, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml at free.fr> wrote:
>>   I'm not telling that FireHOL must be run in two parts on two different
>> machines. I'm just telling that there is not a lot of work to do so that
>> this is possible. And sometimes this would be really useful, even if
>> there
>> is some limitations from the 'normal' mode.
>
> I guess there's three ways to do this:
>
> 1. You can load the rules on the source machine, dump them with
> iptables-save, and then load them in the target machine with
> iptables-restore.

The target machine does not have the same interfaces. I'm not sure this
will really work (whereas we can load rules with iptables for interfaces
not present on the machine).

> 2. You can change firehol so that it dumps the "iptables ..." commands
> instead of running them. And then run the output on the target
> machine.

Sorry for not having being clear enough, but this is exactly what I want
to do.

> 3. You can change firehol so that it generates output compatible with
> iptables-restore, which has the problems described by the firehol
> author in the post I referenced.

Yes, and I agree with the facts describe in this post.

> Well, I could certainly use option 2... and it doesn't seem all that
> difficult to implement...

;-) Sure. I'm glad we agree on this.
I will come with a series of patches in a few days (or weeks, depending
on my free time).
Thanks for your input.

  Vincent