[Firehol-support] opening a specific port

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:39:17 CET 2007

I am trying to use unison to sync files between to computers using ssh
tunneling as outlined in this howto:
http://www.minezone.org/wiki/MVance/FileSyncingHowTo

The only difference between my setup and the setup of the author of
the tutorial is that I have a Linux desktop which I would like to sync
with a dual boot laptop that is booted into Windows for now (I would
ultimately like this to work with Linux-to-Linux, Linux-to-Windows,
Windows-to-Windows, ...).

The desktop is the server for this application and it is running
Ubuntu and FireHOL.  The tutorial tells me to use putty to setup up
tunneling to port 412 on the server.  My primary question is how do I
open that port.  Here is the current contents of firehol.conf:

##########################
iptables -t filter -I OUTPUT -d 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 3128 -m owner
! --uid-owner dansguardian -j DROP

transparent_squid 8080 "root root"

interface any world
policy drop
protection strong
client all accept
server cups accept
server ssh accept
server ping accept
#server webcache accept

version 5

(I am also running dnasguardian and tinyproxy).

Both computers can ping one another and I can ssh in to the server
without the tunneling.  When I try and connect with the tunneling, the
connection times out on the windows machine.

The firewall on the windows machine is turned off.

How do I get this working?

Thanks,

Ryan