[Firehol-support] firehol and snat

Rick Marshall rjm at zenucom.com
Sat Oct 6 01:28:29 CEST 2007

Hi Rich

I put considerable work into the snat option before realising that it
was going to be too difficult. iptables seems t get confused when you
are trying to do too much with the same subnet. I don't know why, but it
just didn't work.

More importantly, we host a number of sites on different back end
servers and then have to provide site statistics to all of them.

This is where the reverse proxy really came into its own. (Using apache
of course ;)  - IIS can't do it :( ) The proxy knows the URL that has
been requested and so the a combination of named virtual hosts and
reverse proxy can redirect almost anything reliably to the internal
servers. Including internal traffic. However this does mean that all
internal traffic also goes through the firewall - on sites with high
internal volumes you really don't want this - hence servers with dual
interfaces. The internal servers think the traffic comes from the
firewall so you need to set up site statistics against logs on the
firewall, not the actual servers.

Google etc for apache reverse proxy - plenty of online help and discussion.

Here is a snippet from one of our apache setups:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName www.rmkshoes.com.au
        ServerAlias rmkshoes.com.au www.rmkshoes.com rmkshoes.com
        ServerAdmin root at cadetshoes.com.au
        ErrorLog logs/rmkshoes.com.au-error_log
        CustomLog logs/rmkshoes.com.au-access_log combined
        ProxyPreserveHost       On
        <Location / >
                ProxyPass               http://192.168.1.153/
                ProxyPassReverse        http://192.168.1.153/
                </Location>
        </VirtualHost>

Also please note that this does not solve the problem for mail servers
on the same internal subnet.

Option b) as I said is to overload the ip address on an interface card.

To do this set the ip address on the web/mail server to a different
subnet eg 192.168.1.0/24. Then in firehol on the firewall add the ip
commands to add addresses to an interface (in addition to the default
address present when the firewall starts):

eg

ip addr add 192.168.1.1 dev eth0
ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0

You can have 2 interface definitions for the same interface ! and then
redirect traffic accordingly. This is an effective strategy. Here is the
firehol.conf from one of my smaller sites:
In this case I have made sure that the intranet comes up correctly and
then overlay the internet onto the (single) ethernet adapter. Physically
there is a satellite link connected to my switch along with the
server/firewall and a wireless switch.

We're now using this in small shop setups too so that we can use
standard IBM POS units with multiple subregisters.

Anyway I hope this helps you and others.

Regards
Rick

#
# $Id: office.conf,v 1.4 2002/12/31 15:44:34 ktsaou Exp $
#
# CASE:
# Firewall for a host with only one Ethernet interface connected to
# a LAN where the traffic coming in is:
#
#       source 10.0.0.0/16      intranet traffic
#       any other source        internet traffic
#
# The host can reach the internet via a gateway that SNATs the fake
# address this host has to its Ethernet interface to a real one.
# We assume that this NAT is bi-directional, meaning that the
# gateway will DNAT requests sent from the internet to the real IP
# of our host in order to enter the intranet and reach our server.
#
# If this NAT is not bi-directional (only SNAT but no DNAT), then
# the 'internet' and 'trusted' services bellow will simply not
# work (FireHOL will not complain).
#
# SOLUTION:
# The following FireHOL configuration script assumes there are a few
# network zones with different roles:
#
#       intranet        our company's intranet
#       department      our department within the intranet
#       personal        our PCs within the company
#       internet        the whole internet
#       trusted         computers on the internet we need to provide
#                       services to
#
# For each of the above, there are two definitions:
#       1. The IP addresses or address space
#       2. The services they can access on this host.
#
# If you want to disable something, simply comment out or empty the
# variables defined for this.
#
# Other notes:
#       - idents are rejected
#       - our host is also a workstation that can run any client
#       - our host does not route any traffic

version 5

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Definitions
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# The network the company's intranet is using
ip addr add 61.88.230.142 dev eth0
ip route add 61.88.230.140/30 dev eth0
ip route add default via 61.88.230.141
intranet="192.168.12.0/24"
intranet_servers="icmp http smtp dns dhcp cups ssh samba"

# The rest of the traffic is internet.
# Define here the servers for the internet traffic, if any
internet="61.88.230.142"
internet_if="eth0"
internet_servers="icmp smtp ssh dns"

# How many requests per second should we allow?
intranet_requests="50/sec"
internet_requests="10/sec"

# New servers

server_drop_ports="tcp/135 udp/1025:65535 tcp/1025:65535"
client_drop_ports="default"

# NAT

snat to "${internet}" outface "${internet_if}" src "${intranet}" dst not
"${UNROUTABLE_IPS}"

# TCPMSS

tcpmss 256

# TRANSPARENT PROXY

#proxy_port=""

# Setup a transparent proxy on this host.
#if [ ! -z "${proxy_port}" ]
#then
#        iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s ${intranet} -p tcp --dport 80
-j REDIRECT --to-port ${proxy_port}
#fi

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Normally, you don't have to do anything bellow this point.
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# The intranet
interface eth0 intranet src "${intranet}"
        policy reject # be friendly to the intranet to prevent timeouts

        protection strong ${intranet_requests}

        # Servers for the company's intranet
        if [ ! -z "${intranet_servers}" ]
        then
                server "${intranet_servers}" accept
        fi

        # Prevent ident from timing out
        server ident    reject with tcp-reset

        # This is an Intranet workstation
        client all      accept  # To have good accounting, this should
be last.

# The internet
interface eth0 internet src not "${intranet} ${UNROUTABLE_IPS}"
        policy drop # this is also the default

        protection strong ${internet_requests}

        # Public internet servers
        if [ ! -z "${internet_servers}" ]
        then
                server "${internet_servers}" accept
        fi

        # Servers for our trusted PCs
        if [ ! -z "${trusted}" -a ! -z "${trusted_servers}" ]
        then
                server "${trusted_servers}" accept src "${trusted}"
        fi

        # Prevent ident from timing out
        server ident    reject with tcp-reset

        # Get rid of other crap
        server "drop" drop
        server "samba" drop

        # This is an Internet workstation too
        client all      accept  # To have good accounting, this should
be last.

#
# PROTECT ROUTING
#
# Protect the LAN...

# Route traffic for the clients on the LAN
router internet2lan inface "${internet_if}" outface "eth0" src not
"${UNROUTABLE_IPS}" dst "${intranet}"

        # route all client traffic
        client all accept

router lan2internet inface "eth0" outface "${internet_if}"
        route all accept