[Firehol-support] Routing between virtual interfaces

M. O. mofog at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:59:55 CET 2009

Hi all,

I've been worrying about this issue for the last couple of weeks:

I'm running a server which used to have 4 real network interfaces. At some point last year it had to be replaced by a way smaller machine, having just one network interface installed.

I was able to transfer most of the old server's functionality to the new one, but the routing between the 4 formerly separated networks doesn't seem to work so well. Whenever I restarted everything (network components and server) the routing may work for a couple of minutes. For example: A1 is able to ping B1, but A2 will most likely not be able to ping B1, though it's supposed to. This behavior may become the exact inverse next time I power on the system.

I've spent a few weeks now on figuring out what goes wrong, but have not the slightest clue.

Are there known issues or some kind of traps to watch out for when configuring routing between virtual interfaces? What makes me curious is that "route" doesn't seem to be aware of virtual interfaces at all -- it calls everything "eth0" instead of "eth0:1" and so on.

Any ideas and comments are highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Morin