[Firehol-support] Routing between virtual interfaces

M. O. mofog at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 23:13:42 CET 2009

Thanks for the hint! I had a first look at how to run VLANs in Debian.

There are conflicting information about how to do this. For example you say it can be done by using this notation: "eth0.1". However, this doesn't seem to work for me. I have to do it this way: "vlan2" and add a "vlan_raw_device eth0" line. However, afterwards I cannot reach any components on the VLANs. Am I right that this whole thing only works with special hardware, like VLAN-enabled switches and so on?

The funny thing is that the old setup kind of worked as well, you just couldn't count on it...

If setting up a VLAN environment should turn out to be too complicated, I think I will just merge all networks into one -- granted: it's just avoiding and not solving the problem.

Best regards,

Morin