[Firehol-support] port-forwarding and/or one-to-one nat setup (configuration)

R E Gomez gomez_er at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 13 00:14:04 BST 2009

I’ve been looking for a configuration example (a simple one) for me to
use on my home firewall currently running firehol.  Anyone know where I can find a good sample
for a semi-easy configuration?  If I
could find a configuration or two that matches my environment (really shouldn’t
be THAT hard to find!):

-
Two NICs (eth0>out, Eth1>in): got it, this is working

-
Firewall has public IP and I’m masquerading (using a private address on
my inside network): got it, this is working

-
Have one of my inside computers (let’s say 10.2.2.55) servicing ports
8551 and 8552)…  I need to setup a rule
that lets outside machines (public) talk to my firewall through those ports and
go all the way to my private machine, since it’s this one the one with the
services on UDP port 8551 and 8552 (back and forth communication).

I’ve seen posts about dnat, but I’m unsure of how to use this and also
what the difference is between it and snat and just nat.  Do I run this as a service?, a route
rule?  will I have to include a rule for outside coming in as well as a rule for inside going out?  I’m lost!

Please help!