[Firehol-support] what comes after firehol?

Andrew Schulman andrex at alumni.utexas.net
Sun Jun 12 13:39:38 BST 2011

> are there any other tools similar to firehol i should be aware of?
>
> i've used fwbuilder in the past, and while it works well, and is
> clearly supported, i always feel like it's way more sophisticated than
> i need, and i usually forget how to use its UI in between usages.

Advanced Policy Firewall
(http://www.rfxn.com/projects/advanced-policy-firewall/) seems to be similar to
firehol.  I've looked at it but haven't tried it out since firehol still meets
my needs.

fwbuilder is, in my mind, quite different and not nearly as useful, since it
can't be scripted.  It's fundamentally a GUI tool, and I find that the GUI
actually obscures the high-level view that I want of my firewall.  A
firehol+bash script is clearer and more flexible.