[Firehol-support] DHCPv6 source port

Phil Whineray phil at sanewall.org
Sun Jul 27 12:28:40 BST 2014

Hi Mihai

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 04:19:51AM -0700, Mihai Hanor wrote:
> I have encountered a situation with Firehol and the dhcpv6 service.
> Apparently, the standard that defines how DHCPv6 works, doesn't specify
> what source port, a request or a response, must have. Firehol doesn't
> handle this situation, with the current definition of the dhcpv6 service.
> I'm currently using dibbler-server as a DHCPv6 server, instead of
> wide-dhcpv6-server, because wide-dhcpv6-server responds to requests,
> from a random UDP port. See here my initial attempt to resolve the issue
> with the wide-dhcpv6-server, which got an answer
> today: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=751407

Seems fairly clear-cut. I originally took the DHCPv6 service from the
DHCP one in FireHOL but a close reading of the RFC shows that the
source ports are not fixed in DHCPv6 as they were originally.

I have updated the FireHOL service definition and I would be grateful if
you could give it a go from the latest build:
   http://firehol.org/download/unsigned/master/

and let me know how you get on.

Thanks
Phil