[Firehol-support] [ANNOUNCE] FireHOL 2.0.0-rc.1 released

Chris Francy francyci at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 21:52:05 CEST 2014

I am looking at the
[changelog](http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/f/firehol/firehol_2.0.0~rc.1+ds-1_changelog)
for the the version in [experimental
repository](https://packages.debian.org/experimental/firehol) today
and I saw this note.

  * Debianization:
and fireqos-doc;
     - firehol has been moved from /sbin to /usr/sbin for consistency

This particular entry concerns me.  I believe the firehol binary was
in `/sbin` because network comes up before `/usr` is mounted, this is
to accommodate systems where /usr is nfs mounted, which is permitted
per the FHS.  Souldn't I be able to expect the firewall should be able
to function even if `/usr` cannot be mounted?

Seeing this also encouraged me to go look at the /etc/init.d/firehol
and I see it has `# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5`.  I had expected to see `#
Default-Start: S`.

Another common firewall package shorewall leaves the main binaries in
/sbin, and starts in the single user runlevel.

Chris Francy

P.S.  I believe Jerome Benoit, the Debian maintainer, is subscribed
here, but should I also add a bug to the Debian bugtracker for this?