[Firehol-support] Key loggers and others that communicate back to a base

Rick Marshall rjm at zenucom.com
Thu Sep 4 08:06:41 BST 2014

I was going to write a more detailed response later, but going to run out of time. So here is my quick - at present poorly educated - take on this.

First zones are a cisco marketing strategy. Differentiation. Redhat has picked up on it and so I guess will everyone.

Having said that there are some implications - network engineers are now starting to think in terms of zones; firewall products need to take that approach to be accessible by the new gen of network engineers; and there is a subtle realisation that conceptually zones reverse our perception of firewalls from the interfaces to the collections of devices - an important consideration as IoT gets traction.

I think there is room too to make firewall definition easier by extending the concept of zones so that interfaces and devices can take part in several zones. Haven’t thought this through properly but I think a zone characterised by an interface, ports, src and dst subnets and ips and routing between zones as well as interfaces is kind of what I think the future will be.

A long term concept that integrates dhcp so that it can hand out a zone as well would be awesome.

In the meantime I know I can do most if not all of this with firehol (and in fact I probably do) - it’s just fitting with the current buzzwords for the current functions.

Rick Marshall
Technical Director
Zenucom Pty Ltd
0411 287 530		http://www.zenucom.com
Help Desk | 1300 752 172
PO Box 1465, Port Macquarie NSW 2444
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.