[Firehol-support] FireQOS Use Case

Phil Whineray phil at sanewall.org
Sat Aug 1 09:46:08 CEST 2015

Hi Rudi

Just having QOS running may do enough, depending on how strictly you
want to control the limits. QOS will try to ensure fairness between
connections in a class so if your 5 users all have similar usage
patterns it will probably even out without worrying about destination.

If you want to enforce strict boundaries but share the unused bandwidth
as you described, then you need to classify the traffic by destination.
Having NAT makes this more complicated but not impossible.

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 01:23:22PM +0800, Rudi wrote:
> Is FireQOS suited to shape traffic for NAT'd users?

Yes, see "Case 2" of this page for your options:
  https://github.com/ktsaou/firehol/wiki/FireQOS-Use-Scenarios

It should explain the options available. Where organisations are
talked about, you can think of individual computers just as easily.

> FireQOS is more to shape traffic only to/from the single user machine
> correct?

Not at all: it can be used that way but it's aimed at machines that
route. I run it on OpenWRT connecting dual LANs to my ISP with both
IPv4 and IPv6.

Cheers
Phil