[Firehol-support] Dynamic hosts (eg no-ip) and fail2ban

Tsaousis, Costa costa at tsaousis.gr
Mon Dec 7 10:31:39 GMT 2015

Hi Jason,

It seems the welcome guide is missing a few important points. Here they are:

1. Never use hostnames with firewalls. Firewalls are started before
the machine has activated its network interfaces, so if you use
hostnames, the firewall will fail to start at boot. The same will
happen if you face a DNS problem. It is a bad dependency, so avoid it.

2. Avoid restarting the firewall too frequently. Although firehol will
gracefully manage failures (will fallback to the previously active
firewall), it is a bad practice to restart the firewall via cron.

3. Use ipsets for all IP lists that are updated frequently. Not only
the firewall will be a lot faster (less CPU resources used by kernel),
it will be a lot simpler and safer. Check this:
https://github.com/firehol/firehol/wiki/Working-with-IPSETs

At this wiki: https://github.com/firehol/blocklist-ipsets/wiki you can
find information on how to update ipsets without restarting the
firewall. You can define your IP lists too.

So the idea is:

a. At firehol use ipsets (instead of src 1.2.3.4, use src ipset:NAME,
check the docs)
b. Use a cron job to update ip lists on disk, as frequently as you
like (iprange has a parallel dns resolver in it to resolve thousands
of hostnames to IPs quickly)
c. Use firehol's update-ipsets to activate the on-disk-updated IP
lists, at the running firewall, without restarting it.

Regards,

Costa