[Firehol-support] Lots of INVALID OUT ... ACK RST errors?

Tsaousis, Costa costa at tsaousis.gr
Tue Mar 24 14:15:38 CET 2015

Hi Rich,

as the log says, the packets logged are considered as INVALID by the
connection tracker.
INVALID are the packets that linux kernel considers as not part of
existing connections. They might have been part of a connection in the
past, but at the time they arrived they are not part of an existing
connection any more. This may also happen because the connection
tracker monitors all traffic and have already decided to cleanup the
specific connection.

Normally you can ignore INVALID packets.

You can disable their logging in FireHOL by setting FIREHOL_LOG_DROP_INVALID=0
Logging INVALID packets Is is by default enabled, to help
administrators troubleshoot firewall setup problems.

If you believe the kernel connection tracker is wrong (very unlikely)
you can allow these packets to flow by setting FIREHOL_DROP_INVALID=0

Costa