[Firehol-support] blocklists

Rick Marshall rjm at zenucom.com
Thu May 28 00:10:17 CEST 2015

Thanks for that Costa. I need to think some more on this, but I agree
it's all in the lists - ingress yes, but egress seems to be the big one
for serious fraud.

Just to update according to Trend cybercrime last year worldwide was
$450b and in the next 2-3 years is expected to reach $3t ! It's more
than big business.

I think your most interesting point was the poisoned list problem. The
way these things work >50,000 new addresses/urls are identified every
day (mostly urls I expect) which also means a lot disappear as well.
Maintaining good lists without poisoning is difficult enough.

We also use ssh-faker to block access to ssh in the first place - except
for approved IPs. Sort of a 2-phase access and it's been very effective.

Still no good answer for social engineering :(

*Rick Marshall*
Director
Zenucom Pty Ltd
0411 287530