[Firehol-support] firehol extra tools

Tsaousis, Costa costa at tsaousis.gr
Fri Jan 1 02:10:12 CET 2016

link-balancer is a tool that allows to setup and maintain multiple
concurrently active, balanced gateways (default or any other kind). It
tries to fill the gap that the standard linux tools (like iproute2) do
not address (for example, when there is a balanced gateway setup and
one of them is lost, the whole gateway route is lost - it also allows
you to setup some kind of inheritance among routing tables).

So, it is a tool that complements both firehol and fireqos, but is
independent of them. Currently firehol, fireqos and link-balancer
share only custom mark definitions (defined in firehol, saved in
/var/cache/firehol and loaded/used by fireqos and link-balancer - this
is only used to reference marks by name - the admin can define marks
by number to avoid this dependency).

update-ipsets is again a standalone tool. It can complement any
firewall, not only firehol. It allows downloading and unifying third
party IP lists (the admin can configure more IP lists sources too) and
can update ipsets in kernel for any firewall (this is not firehol
specific - it will update ipsets in kernel for any netfilter ipset
based firewall).

Costa