[Firehol-support] firehol extra tools

Tsaousis, Costa costa at tsaousis.gr
Fri Jan 1 02:20:41 GMT 2016

Well, given the fact that we are talking about just shell scripts, I
think the whole idea of splitting them, is overkill.

It is reasonable for someone to say he just needs fireqos, but at the
same time I don't believe it will bother anyone if firehol and
link-balancer are also installed (given that they do nothing if not
configured - so an accidental run will not harm).

Keep also in mind the following:

>From what I read on forums, a lot of users are using firehol to just
learn iptables. Firehol has the 'explain' feature that generates
iptables statements from configuration statements given to it
interactivery. A lot of users that do not use firehol for their
firewall, are using this feature to learn how to write iptables
statements by hand.

On the other hand, as time passes we identify needs and therefore code
that should be common to all tools (IP version handling is similar and
could be unified, fireqos has a very nice state machine for nested
classes that could be used in other tools too, link-balancer has a
nice code for resolving a dependency tree, etc). So we think of moving
parts of the code from the individual tools to a common shell library.
At some point in future, firehol, fireqos and probably other tools may
be mainly front ends to the same shell library.

So you have a few options:

1. Package all as "firehol"

2. Identify the main needs: firehol, fireqos, firehol-common, firehol-tools

3. Split them all: firehol, fireqos, link-balancer, update-ipsets,
vnetbuild, firehol-common

I don't know. My suggestion is option 1. I think all the other options
add complexity without any actual gains.
Of course, this is your call...

Costa