[Firehol-support] Răspuns: firehol dual-stack and service helpers

Mihai Hanor mhanor at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 19:36:28 CET 2016

Hello Phil,
I'm having problems with the ftp-data connection between any FTP server (including the one which runs on my LAN PC; external I have tested with ftp.kernel.org), and the client which runs on my router/gateway (2 interfaces, LAN and WAN). For some reason, the ftp-data connection fails, both in active (I have to manually abort, it never connects) and passive mode (connection instantly rejected). The "client ftp accept" is not enough, I have to add a "client4 ftp accept" statement, connect to the ftp server, test the data connection by listing the content (active data connection, by default, using the classic linux ftp client), after that I can remove the client4 statement, restart firehol. It works until I reboot the router. The same thing happens when I connect to a public ftp server, via the public network interface of the router. The router runs Debian sid. I thought that firehol wasn't loading the kernel modules, but I failed to notice what 'firehol debug' was actually showing me.
I managed to reproduce the issue a few times, with a VM running also Debian unstable. It might have something to do with the fact that the firewall on the router is much more complex. I think it has something to do with the ftp connection tracker.
Thanks,Mihai