[Firehol-support] appropriate way to do transparent proxy to a node on the LAN

Spike spike at drba.org
Sat Jul 22 23:46:43 BST 2017

Phil,

thank you for your message, very much appreciate the help. I had completely
forgotten about the issue of client ip, I definitely need that to apply
some rules based on the client so it seems I'll have to go the routing way,
which I actually don't mind and in a sense prefer to NAT'ing. With that in
mind tho, and this may be OT and more fo a networking question, how is the
routing scenario solve the return path issue? once the filtering box
receives the request, won't the source ip still be the one of the client?
(which is the whole point). And that being the case, won't the filter then
try to route it back to the client which is one the same LAN? it seems for
the above to work the content filter and the lan would have to be on their
own network separate from the client.

thanks,

Spike