[Firehol-support] Re: snort and firehol: can they co-exist peacefully?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Aug 3 05:08:16 BST 2004

On 3 Aug 2004, R. G. Cottrell wrote:
> I'm running a Debian GNU/Linux system (2.4.18 kernel) and I'd like to
> know whether firehol and snort can work together peacefully.

[...]

> I'm nervous, though. Wouldn't snort set up a firewall after boot time
> and overwrite the firewall that firehol has set up. Do I have to run
> firehol again after snort has initialised?

Unless something has changed since last time I looked, snort did not
have anything to do with firewalls of any sort.

Doesn't it just collect raw packets from the network and report on them?

Neither the website or the package description suggest that this has
changed.

I think that you are making the mistaken assumption that a firewall is
involved in anything to do with raw packet management -- which isn't
actually the case.

        Daniel
--
A cathedral, a wave of a storm, a dancer's leap,
never turn out to be as high as we had hoped.