[Firehol-support] Re: snort and firehol: can they co-exist peacefully?

R G Cottrell rossco at froggy.com.au
Tue Aug 3 08:35:54 BST 2004

Daniel Pittman wrote:

>On 3 Aug 2004, R. G. Cottrell wrote:
>

>>I'm running a Debian GNU/Linux system (2.4.18 kernel) and I'd like to
>>know whether firehol and snort can work together peacefully.
>>

>[...]
>

>>I'm nervous, though. Wouldn't snort set up a firewall after boot time
>>and overwrite the firewall that firehol has set up. Do I have to run
>>firehol again after snort has initialised?
>>

>Unless something has changed since last time I looked, snort did not
>have anything to do with firewalls of any sort.
>
>Doesn't it just collect raw packets from the network and report on them?
>
>Neither the website or the package description suggest that this has
>changed.
>

>I think that you are making the mistaken assumption that a firewall is
>involved in anything to do with raw packet management -- which isn't
>actually the case.
>
>        Daniel

Thanks, Daniel.  It is now clear to me that the intrusion detection that
snort does is quite distinct from actually protecting the machine as
firehol does.

This raises another question, though - whether snort reports on incoming
packets before they hit the firewall or after, but I guess that's a
question for
the snort support people (or preferably a Reading of The Fine Manual).

Regards, Ross.