[Firehol-support] Re: Quick review of conf

Frederik Dannemare frederik at dannemare.net
Sat Nov 6 10:39:39 GMT 2004

On Saturday 06 November 2004 01:37, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2004, Frederik Dannemare wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I have recently started using firehol, and I'm certainly pleased
> > with it. However, just to make sure I'm not doing anything utterly
> > wrong security-wise, I'd like for firehol veteran eyes to quickly
> > glance over my conf below.
>
> The configuration looks mostly fine to me.
>
> > Does it look somewhat sane, or am I missing something important?
>
> Wireless networks are *very* insecure, and you trust yours
> completely.

Yes

> You may want to reconsider that policy, or you may not, depending on
> how much risk you feel there is.
[ snip ]

There's not much risk for this particular WLAN for various reasons:
- the signal strength is so weak that it almost doesn't reach beyond my
house
- using 128bit WEP with key rotation (and MAC filtering)
- with the tiny amount of traffic on the WLAN, it'll take forever to
crack WEP (using aircrack I gave up after two weeks)
- about to deploy OpenVPN, since that will be a must for another WLAN
I'm setting up in a not too distance future

But thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik at dannemare.net
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Frederik+Dannemare
http://frederik.dannemare.net | http://www.linuxworlddomination.dk