[Firehol-support] Multiple IP addresses

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Mon Nov 27 20:42:58 GMT 2006

On 11/27/06, Marcus Williams <marcus at quintic.co.uk> wrote:

> On 27/11/2006 15:48, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> > This happens bacause the rules you have above are being applied to
> > eth0 and not eth0:1. eth0 never sees traffic for that address and
> > eth0:1 gets the default rules (which block everything).
>
> Hmmmm - I set up a alias on one of my NICs and it seemed to inherit all
> of eth0 settings. I've got eth0:0 set up as a different IP but it lets
> me ssh in and blocks web just like eth0. I havnt added a rule for eth0:0
> though.

You're right.

Then, in his case, the eth0 interface must have a dst rule that includes the
alias address, or no dst rule at all. Then, a rule can be added
conditionally opening the required ports. Something like this:

interface eth0 name dst "$eth0_address $eth0:1_address"
    server someservice accept with dst "$eth0:1_address"

I guess this should work.

--
Carlos Rodrigues