[Firehol-support] Transparent Proxy and firehol problem

Phil Whineray phil at sanewall.org
Wed Feb 18 07:08:33 GMT 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:20:01PM +0100, Simon Szustkowski wrote:
> If the interface is called ppp0 by the kernel, why are you accessing it as ppp+ in the firehol config?

ppp+ means match anything starting ppp, so this should be fine.

> > On 17 Feb 2015, at 21:12, Tony Peña <emperor.cu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi I used firehol with transparent proxy and everything works fine but with
> > the option inface eth1 (lan) outface eth0 (wan)
> >
> > But today i must have to configure the same with pppoe so i have change
> > eth0 with ppp+ but not works

Which version of firehol are you using? That may be pertinent these
days.

> > I can see in the logs like ppp0 in cant out to same ppp0
> >
> > in the logs i see the packets blocked and some time in the request is like
> > ppp0 can't go out with as ppp0 but with the ip of the peer.....

Are you saying these are the browser requests? Odd.

> > Any idea ? What i'm missing in the conf?

I can't see anything obviously wrong with the config but I am not in
a position to test it. I presume your squid is correctly set to
transparent proxy? I expect that could cause odd problems if not.

Could you run a controlled test, i.e. start the firewall then (try to)
browse to somewhere new and extract the recent firewall logs so we can see.
Ideally use wget or curl and report what it says too (timeout, connection
refused etc.). Does your squid log have the request in it?

Cheers
Phil