[Firehol-support] File locations w. ipsets

Phil Whineray phil at firehol.org
Thu Jan 21 07:11:38 GMT 2016

Hi Rich

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 10:58:10PM +0000, Rich wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> I suppose to me the odd thing is that two executables from one source
> reference different places for their config? i.e. firehol itself looks in
> /etc/firehol/ but update-ipsets looks in /usr/local/etc/firehol/. I would
> have expected this to be the same between the two scripts (either both in
> the local dir or both in the system ones), but apols if it's like this for a
> reason beyond my v limited understanding of compiling stuff.

OK, I see what has happened. The bug is actually in the way the firehol
script is processed - it should also be looking at /usr/local/etc with a
default configure but is sticking to the unconfigured defaults. Note that
the example configs are installed to /usr/local/etc.

I have now a bit of a quandry - fixing the bug might affect more users
than not...

> On 20/01/16 08:07, Phil Whineray wrote:
> >Personally, when installing direct to system directories from the sources
> >I use this: ./configure --prefix=/usr --sbindir=/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc \
> >--localstatedir=/var --libdir=/usr/lib Cheers Phil
>
> Thanks, that's useful. Might try it next time.

Doing this should ensure everything matches up regardless. I will update
the documentation when I get a chance.

Cheers
Phil