[Firehol-support] Firehol and NFS

Phil Whineray phil at firehol.org
Sun May 7 10:33:33 BST 2017

Hi Russel

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 10:16:27AM +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> I am trying to run NFS servers on my workstation and my server. The
> workstation uses firewalld and the server Firehol. On the workstation I
> open up the nfs port and everything seems to work fine. On the server I
> try to open the nfs ports with the standard nfs service and I get:
>
>  WHY    :  Cannot find statd ports for nfs server 'localhost'
>
> statd is not running on either machine and yet firewalld can cope but
> Firehol cannot. I have switched the nfs capability off on the server to
> get Firehol to run, but it is annoying not having NFS capability.
>
> Is there a workaround for Firehol avoiding the nfs service to open up
> the NFS capability?

Any particular reason that statd isn't running? The quickest solution
to your problem is probably just to start it at the same time as the
other nfs daemons, i.e. before firehol.

Otherwise, a quick look at the code in firehol suggests a code change
is likely to be needed to support that configuraion directly.

If you choosed not to use the nfs service, then you will either have to fix
the Sun RPC ports used by the NFS servers, or re-implement the probing
that firehol does but skipping statd... the function to look at is
rules_nfs().

Hope that helps
Phil