[Firehol-support] Unable to let internal network access the internet via cable modem

Costa Tsaousis costa at tsaousis.gr
Tue Feb 11 07:29:40 GMT 2003

John Zastrow said:
> Hi Costa,
>
> Thanks for your help. Yep, my cable modem is not
> PPPoE, so your latter solution worked. I have to
> switch where you wrote
>
> internet eth1 lan

> interface eth1 lan

Sorry for this.

> tho. Now it works, but I think it's slow, even though
> the router machine is a big Athlon 2Ghz with lotsa
> memory.

What do you mean slow? How much time does it need?
Please run:

time /etc/init.d/firehol start

and send me the output.

> As I said, I'm on redhat, and ole RH likes to store
> things in /sbin without that path added to root's
> environment. So, in the firehol script v1.89 on lines
> 82 and 83, I simply added /sbin/ before the two
> sysctl's and the script stopped complaining. I think
> that's appropriate (?).

This is strange. I use RH8 myself that this situation never came up.
My root path has /sbin in it.

Any case, thanks for reporting this, I have corrected firehol.

> Couple of suggestions: It would be handy to have a
> checklist of things to make sure that your system is
> setup properly in the 'Troubleshooting' section. That
> is, what iptables modules one needs, how to very that
> the new rules are running, where firehol will look for
> various prograns... just basic things. Then newbies
> like myself can ask more informed questions.

MODULES:
FireHOL requires only two modules (iptables and ip_conntrack) but
depending on the services you use in your config file, it may need more.
If a module is missing, FireHOL will give you a warning, so you will know
that something is wrong. To see this warning just write in your config:

require_kernel_module blahblah

RUNNING RULES:
/etc/init.d/firehol status

You can also check the iptables statements produced for each rule by
entering interactive mode:

/etc/init.d/firehol explain

In this mode you type rules and FireHOL displays the iptables rules - it
does not affect your firewall.

EXTERNAL COMMANDS:
I normally verify that everything is working on RH71 to RH8 and Debian
(supported by the community). But, yes! I should have given a list of
commands it needs.

> The second suggesion is to provide a handful more of
> the canned scripts that would be useful to various
> types of people (dial up users and cable users like
> myself are likely to be the most). Maybe the community
> could provide them to you as examples of setups that
> people are using.

You are right, although I tried in the tutorial to tell you the basics of
building a configuration file. May be is still not complete or is
confusing.

> Now that I have a wide-open
> connection thanks to your help, I can iteratively lock
> it down and know after each step if I've broken it or
> not.
>
> I would also recommend making the samples more
> prominent, like in the docs themselves. Maybe I'm more
> blind than I thought. But, I only stumbled into the
> sample .conf files while looking for something else.

It is a good idea to put examples in the web.

> Thanks for the work and the help. I intend to use
> firehol on other boxes now that i understand it
> better.  Later,
> -John

Thanks!

Costa