[Firehol-support] Unable to let internal network access the internet via cable modem

Costa Tsaousis costa at tsaousis.gr
Mon Feb 10 20:03:31 GMT 2003

Hi John,

If your cable connection uses PPPoE (like ADSL) use this:

-- snip --

interface eth0 dsl
    client dhcp accept

interface ppp+ internet
    client all accept

internet eth1 lan
    policy accept

router lan2internet inface eth1 outface ppp+
    masquerade
    route all accept

--- snip ---

If your cable modem routes traffic directly to your eth0, use this:

-- snip --

interface eth0 internet
    client all accept

internet eth1 lan
    policy accept

router lan2internet inface eth1 outface eth0
    masquerade
    route all accept

--- snip ---

The difference of the two, is that DSL has a PPP device, while cable
normally does not have any PPP.

Read the docs to further restrict your firewall.

I don't however get where the sysctl error is. Can you help me?

Costa