[Firehol-support] Multiple IP addresses

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Mon Nov 27 16:48:56 CET 2006

On 11/27/06, Viktor Kaup <furiousv9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all
>
> I'm really impressed with the ease-of-use FireHOL has provided me with
> configuring the firewall for my dedicated server.
>
> I have come across one difficulty so far, and that is with multiple IP
> addresses.
>
> I have assigned my 2nd IP address provided by my host to eth0:1
>
> ifconfig eth0:1 22.222.22.22    (made-up IP)
> and I can now run CS Source listening on that IP fine.
>
>  I added the line:
> interface eth0 eth0_0alias dst "22.222.22.22"

The interface eth0:1 should be no different from a normal ethernet
interface (but it isn't eth0 itself), and the rules set up for eth0
don't apply to it, you have to create new ones, so the rules should be
(for example):

   interface eth0:1 ifacename
      server all accept
      client all accept

> and included rules under that also, but anything that listens on
> 22.222.22.22 can not send or receive (the CS Source server can not
> communicate with the Steam servers)

This happens bacause the rules you have above are being applied to
eth0 and not eth0:1. eth0 never sees traffic for that address and
eth0:1 gets the default rules (which block everything).

--
Carlos Rodrigues