[Firehol-support] File locations w. ipsets

Phil Whineray phil at firehol.org
Wed Jan 20 08:07:29 GMT 2016

Hi Rich

I'm not going to claim there are no bugs but...

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 11:54:18AM +0000, Rich wrote:
> I'm using firehol 3.0.1 from the tar.gz file and have installed using
> ./configure && make && sudo make install.
>
> This installs as I'd expect/want in /etc/firehol etc. but now I'm coming to
> use ipsets and firehol_level_1 and finding files a bit confusing.

I would expect a default invocation of ./configure to install everything
under /usr/local.

> I think the reason is a (bug?) in update-ipsets, line 62 says
>
> FIREHOL_CONFIG_DIR="/usr/local/etc/firehol"

Which is set as part of the install process.

> So it seems that the intent in the later line is to default to /etc/firehol,
> allowing environment to overrule, but the config is hard coded earlier in
> the script to the /usr/local/etc/firehol location.

Yes, but only in an unconfigured script, which only developers will
generally encounter.

Personally, when installing direct to system directories from the sources
I use this:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sbindir=/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc \
            --localstatedir=/var --libdir=/usr/lib

Cheers
Phil